This is the perfect snack food . It fills a gap, but doesn’t spoil your appetite. It is totally vegan and makes a good filler for a wrap.
This makes a lot. If you don’t have room in the freezer, you can halve the quantities.
- 500g dry pinto beans
- 1-2 tsp good Salt
- Ground back pepper taste
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp chopped red hot chilli peppers
- 1/2 Tsp heaped turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp heaped garam marsala (Optional for curry flavour)
- I tin of tomatoes triturado (mashed)
- Big splash of olive oil
- Big dollop of coconut oil (if you have it)
- 1-2 cans of water (use the tomatoe can)
- A large bowl to soak the beans
- A large pressure cooker or a big pan with a lid
- Hand blender (batidora)
- Soak the beans and chickpeas together in salted water for 4+ hours
- Rinse them
- Heat the pan with oils
- Add the onions, garlic and fry till soft
- Add the tomatoes and tomatoe concentrate, the chilli peppers
- Add the beans & chickpeas
- add water to cover the beans
- Give the mix a good stir
- Pressure cooker – seal and cook for 40 minutes. Start at full heat then switch to low heat for the last 30 minutes. switch off heat and leave for 15 minutes to finish cooking, before opening.
- Pan with lid – cook at low heat for 2 hours
- Blend till smooth while it is still warm.
You can eat the mix as is, without blending. But it wont be so easy to digest. Many thanks to Matt for the tip about soaking the beans in salted water to make them less farty.